Ready…Set…

This past week has been spent getting the garden ready for planting and working on converting the old chicken coop into the new garden shed.  Our raised beds that were framed with untreated culls from the lumber yard and deck boards salvaged from my parents deck replacement have withered and died.  I popped what remained out of the ground and hauled them to the burn pile. Roughly leveled the ground and tilled some of the area up.  The remaining beds that dodged wrecking had been spared by the early plantings of my wife.  Now we have three lone islands of raised bed surviving till the next round of destructive wrath of all things rotten.  The garden fence caught a little of my lumberjacking skills when I dropped a lightening killed oak just a little too close to the line.  I crushed a panel, or one could say I redesigned a panel.  It could be used to fence a creek bank.  So I have given the fence some needed attention and replaced the redesigned panel with one of a rather vanilla conception and did some minor repairs all the way around.

The nasty ass old chicken coop was moved out of the footprint of where its run had been.  Tens years of chicken crap, straw and hay.  Layer upon layer of build up will now get a chance to breath new life and plantings.

On a side note;  We had butchered a whole mess of cockerels on a warm winter day,  as many as we could finish processing before the two of us had to hit the sack before returning to our day jobs.  The remaining four birds were left out of the crowded coop because they were part of a feisty gang turning a peaceful place of safety into a hellish scene from a sorority slasher movie.  Well the gang of four has survived.  They have taught our dogs that they are not to be chew toys.  A feat I have not been able to convey to the canine crew myself.  I may cautiously be able to turn our birds out in the near future.

As for the coop; It’s getting a makeover.  I lined the inside of the building with barn siding and plan on replacing the old salvaged storm door with a Woody-made replacement.  The roof and its hole filled mismatched metal will be removed and replaced as well as the addition of a new front awning.  The water filled double pane aluminum clad window will also find itself a new life at the recycling center. That opening will be filled with a barn-wood shutter.  The whole idea here is to get the garage stuff into the garage.  The barn stuff into the barn.  The garden stuff into…you get it.

We moved the cattle panel bean arches to a new location.  They’ve been in the same spot for about five years.  It was time to shuffle the deck.  Last year we didn’t even sow a bean seed.  All our beans we volunteers.

We will wait for another week or two before we plant our tomatoes.  A couple of years ago I had dipped all our cages in a 10% bleach bath before we used them.  I looked back through my little garden notebook and realized that year was our best tomato year.  Lack of wilt and fungus on the plants and a bumper crop.  Not sure if the dipping was at all responsible.  I failed to make any detailed notes on weather conditions or if I had started the seed or bought the plants.  Having nothing to go on besides the end result.  I plan on a return to the dip and a better accounting of conditions this year…or not.  I think I write stuff like this so that in two or three years when I re-read this I piss myself off for dropping the journaling ball again.

Theresa had me mow all her raspberry brambles.  I had never done this before.  Usually we have gone through and cut only the old cane.  I hope we haven’t made a huge mistake.  I’ll bet that worst case we will be a little light on the berries this year.

No pictures!

In almost all of my postings since the introduction of digital camera technology I have become lazy in my attempts to use the word.  I have become dependent on the photo to describe what’s going on, when there is so much more to the story than a picture can relay.  So for this entry there will be no digital image crutch.  I’ll soak the next post with everything picture perfect.

Advertisements

4 Comments

  1. Ed said,

    April 22, 2014 at 1:45 PM

    It certainly sounds busy down at your place. I took a little long with my indoor work this winter and spring thus far so I’ve gotten squat done outside. I plan to move out there the rest of this week to build a vanity for my bathroom project and then get all those nagging things done outside that need to be done before it gets to hot again. It never ends does it.

    • Woody said,

      April 24, 2014 at 4:59 AM

      It’s always busy when it come time to put the garden in. All the other stuff is tied together in one way or another. I’ve got a bunch of little projects/repairs that need to be finished up. I can’t finish one thing without starting something else.

  2. Ron said,

    April 23, 2014 at 9:26 PM

    Sounds like things are getting underway up there!

    I’ve tried carefully dipping my pots and even seed in a weak bleach solution before… and didn’t see any difference in the blight. When I go to the stores around here, they all have tomatoes out, and they all have blight. I’ve also seen blight on various nightshade weeds around here. So I figure I’m probably just going to get it no matter what in this climate. I have some copper spray I bought a couple of years ago, and I tried spraying that when the worst of the damp weather was happening… and I thought it make a pretty big difference.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: