Cold Work

Thursday brought us three inches of sleet during the day.  Thunder rolled through the river valley like I have never heard.  I assume that the sounds intensify with the lack of foliage.  It was just an odd storm.  The sleet came down hard and heavy most of the day.  We ended up with three or four inches of accumulation.  Over night the whole mess froze solid.  As I made my way out to the barn in the morning I couldn’t even break the heel of my boot through the surface.


A fire was the first thing on the list.  A good spot to knock off the chill and keep my coffee warm.  Way before John and Rodney showed up I began staging all the materials for the day.  I think I have had about a gazillion different ideas run through my head while moving lumber around this project.  One lasting thought is how miserably out of shape I’ve gotten.  There are things that I just have a harder time doing now.  It’s not that I can’t do them.  It just takes me a little longer to get the leg up.


We were gifted with a cast iron sink and all the hardware by our friends Rob and Willie.  I really like to find cool old pieces that can be reused.  It’s even cooler when the pieces find us.  All the plumbing hardware is in great shape.  The sinks finish appears to be intact and will clean up nice.



We had to chisel and scrape the ice from the footings before drilling and bolting the post brackets down Saturday.  The ice did start to melt as the day passed trading one inconvenience for another.  With the thaw brought the mud on top of the still frozen ground.  Now that’s a recipe of some slick chit!





With both the sheds on I’m so pleased with how the building looks.  I completed the siding on the exterior of the shop wall Friday and recycled the french door that we took from the dining room of our house a couple of years ago.  The door stood in the garage in hope of finding a new purpose.  I think it found its home.


This is the east side.  Now I can get the fence panels up and complete the new chicken digs on the right side of the shed.


Flashing and trim.  Now all the little details start to get scratched off a long list.  Doors, shutters, interior and exterior lighting, the stairs to the root cellar and railings for the loft stairs.  That’s just the major minor stuff.  I ran short of material for battens on the east and southern corners.  That wood needs to dry a bit before it gets nailed up or it will split for sure.

We’ve got a whole lot of work left to do.  Early April we plan to have a little warming party/hog roast.  I sort of like working up against a deadline.




  1. Ed said,

    February 25, 2013 at 9:52 AM

    Sounds like you got the brunt of the storm. We were supposed to get hammered with 18″ of snow with some freezing rain on top but we only got 6″ of some of the driest snow I’ve seen.

    I’ve built lots of buildings over the years but my worst memories are working on frozen ground with the top half inch thawed out clay. Not only is it slick but it sticks to everything and everything gets muddy. My father put on his shop roof in just such conditions and to this day, some two plus decades later, there is still a muddy set of footprints walking on the bottom side of one sheet on the ceiling.

    • Woody said,

      February 25, 2013 at 5:51 PM

      Has enough time passed for the prints to bring a grin to your face?

      • Ed said,

        February 26, 2013 at 8:24 AM

        Oh most definitely. I wouldn’t wash those things off if I could due so easily in 30 seconds. It is a reminder of those days of building the shop just like my handprints sunk in the concrete up front. I still brush the dirt out of them and put my hand on them from time to time.

        Besides, I don’t think one person outside of my family has ever noticed them over the years. Being 25 feet up in the rafters doesn’t make them too obvious.

      • Woody said,

        February 26, 2013 at 3:09 PM

        We’ve left little reminders, graffiti and prints, all over the barn. The kids felt like they were really getting away with something. Also the grands and Katy helped nailing down the loft floor boards. An eight year old with a hammer leaves marks I will always remember with a smile.

  2. warren said,

    February 25, 2013 at 2:02 PM

    It would be pretty hard to tear me away from that fire on a cold day. Your crew must be pretty tough to pull you away!

    • Woody said,

      February 25, 2013 at 5:53 PM

      One thing I’ve got going for me Warren is that they both have things they want to get done at their places too. Labor trade-outs are a great thing.

  3. Ron said,

    February 25, 2013 at 5:11 PM

    It’s looking great! This muck is horrible.

    I like that sink, very unique.

    • Woody said,

      February 25, 2013 at 5:54 PM

      IT’s pretty cool, isn’t it. I was very happy to see that they had given to us.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: