I had spent most of yesterday finishing up a reorganization/clean up of the garage. It was the kind of job that gets started the day before because I couldn’t find an attachment for a blower. I start digging through the pile of tools and unused hardware from some unfinished job only to find a thermometer that I had intended to mount in the greenhouse last month. Then I rediscover the J-clips I bought and had intended to use in a fix of the deer netting around the garden.

So I head out to the greenhouse to mount the thermometer with my cordless drill only to realize after walking out to the site that I had the wrong bit. Back to the workbench to search the drawer that contains the bit tips. After digging through all the loose drill bits, paddle bits, drywall bits and all the sleeves and nice little organizer boxes that floated on top of all their loose former tenants, I found the proper tip for the quick change driver. Since I was there I started to replace all the bits into their homes. Vacuum out all the saw dust, loose staples and mouse turds from the bottom of the drawer. On to the next drawer.

About two hours later I finally made it to the greenhouse to mount the thermometer.

I divided up a bunch of anise that had overwintered in the greenhouse and dropped tons of seed. Seedlings littered one end of a bed. The bees really loved this plants clusters of purple flower heads.
This incubator was a freebie we picked up months ago. I had no idea if it worked until I started cleaning the darn garage. It had become a shelf of sorts. A platform for more crap to accumulate on.
After running the unit for 24 hours, to determine if it would hold the proper temperature to incubate eggs, I loaded it up with a dozen to see how we do.

Fixed the deer netting, placed some cedar posts to run wire between for trellis of blackberries and grapevines. Installed some screen on the greenhouse ends and replaced the disintegrating plastic on the same ends.

Finally I drilled all the birdhouse gourds that had been curing since last fall. A core saw does a great job of making a neat and clean hole that is just the right size to remove the seed and residual trash from the interior. I had bagged up some seed for Ron but we forgot them as we were digging starts from around the house.

Advertisements

4 Comments

  1. Ron said,

    April 2, 2009 at 9:53 PM

    Crap! I knew I’d forget something (I always do :))Your garage is so neat… I aspire to that. 🙂 Your projects and experiments, and your perspective are so interesting Woody. There aren’t a whole lot of people in the world willing to share their uncertainty, their unfinished projects. I love you man. *sniff* :)That incubator is cool, I hope you guys get some hatchlings out of it. I’m looking forward to that experiment, when we get to it, too.Ron

  2. Kush said,

    April 3, 2009 at 4:52 AM

    Love the biohazard sticker on the incubator. Where did you acquire the incubator? I have some eggs hopefully on their way to hatching in a homemade incubator and need to candle them soon to see if they are doing ok.Kush

  3. Woody said,

    April 3, 2009 at 4:58 AM

    I’ll mail the seed to you.Two days and dumping out the shop vac three times the damn garage should be neat! Thanks for the kind words…I was showing ya the unfinished stuff hoping you would volunteer to finish them..peace

  4. Woody said,

    April 3, 2009 at 5:04 AM

    Kush…the incubator came from a hospital laboratory. Was told that they were unable to keep it calibrated/certified so they went digital. peace


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: