A days work

This rooster was the sole survivor from the last massacre at chickenkill hill. He has a definite problem with living a care free life. This poor guy is suffering from post traumatic stress disorder as well as a touch of frostbite to his comb and wattles. We were gifted around 10 birds of a potpourri of breeds and I bought 10 New Hampshire red hens. We’re getting an average of 8 eggs a day, more than enough for us and some friends.



I made a few alterations to the coop this afternoon, as well as some work in the garden. It was a fairly cold day to be twisting wire on the new location for the bean arches but I got better than half way done with the move. I also thinned, moved and pruned all the raspberries. We have two variety of raspberries that were merging into one huge mess.

The lemongrass did very well in the greenhouse. I’ve pulled and cut half of what we had grown for tea. I hope, but doubt that the root stock has survived. I plan on pulling some and bringing it inside to see if it is still viable.

The garlic is doing fairly well. I have no idea what I’m doing with this greenhouse. I’ve been reading up and searching a mess of blogs for information and ideas on best use of this space. I have ordered Eliot Coleman’s Four Season Harvest on a strong recommendation from a friend.

I filled this stock tank with water for thermal mass. So far there has only been a paper thin layer of ice on the tank. The cabbage to the right was attached by cabbage worm and stunted in the process. I hope it will make a rebound with longer days.

Tomorrow I’m moving some grow lights into the greenhouse in preparation for seed starting this spring. A new water line into the greenhouse should be finished as well.


The worm box is the bright spot of the greenhouse report. The worms have been doing quite well since the move from the basement. They have been dining on our kitchen scrap and five gallon buckets of coffee grounds from my work. I was surprised by the increase in their reproduction rate. I would have thought the rate would drop with the temperatures.

Advertisements

3 Comments

  1. January 7, 2009 at 1:09 AM

    Looks like things are going well on Rocky Ridge. My greenhouse is all to pieces now. I just used cheap clear plastic that was way to thin for the job. May recover with some heavier soon though. I placed some large flat stones on the floor on mine to halp retain heat (thermal mass) and they seemed to help a lot. I have always wanted to have a worm bed I’m just too tight to buy them. lol I may just start picking up the worms I find in the yard and put them in a plastic tub. lol It may work ok. Great post Woody and I think you’re doin a fine job. Be back for more.Chris

  2. Kirsty said,

    January 9, 2009 at 11:08 PM

    Hi there Woody *waves madly*Wow the chooks are gorgous! I struggle with lemon grass here not sure what I’m doing wrong. I’m in the middle of covering everything with shade cloth as its starting to get really hot here 113 degrees last week! A friend has filled old oil cans the type you get bulk olive oil in with water and lined the walls of her green house and she says that has worked well!

  3. Woody said,

    January 13, 2009 at 6:11 AM

    Chris..thanks. The greebhouse was originally covered with a very heavy plastic that I salvaged from a railcar load of sheet rock. Although it was heavy duty it was not the right type plastic to stand up to the sun. It blew apart in a thunderstorm not long after installation.Kirsty…Good to hear from you. We’re looking forward to the warmth of summer, but you can keep the 100+ stuff.peace


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: