Working between the rains

Since our last post I think we have had an additional 3″ of rain. I’ve lost track of totals. I usually mark them on the calender but I can’t believe that I have been accurate on my bookkeeping at this point.

We have however completed some of the garden work off of my short list. Nine new raised beds of the 4×10 variety and one 4×12, are in place and filled with my compost. I also added a couple of new flower beds, one in an area near the garden gate that would be difficult to mow (difficult means I would have to use a push mower or weed eater) and a matching pair at the chicken coops door. I just took a walk around the house and dug some clumps of hosta, yarrow, day lilies, gallardia, monarda and phlox. They will fill in nicely and provide some welcome eye candy for the area.

I replanted some of the peas and beets that were washed out from our 10″ rain a couple of weeks ago. A mole run crossed under the two beds that I had planted and when the heavy rains came the runs collapsed and sucked the contents of the beds out. I have found four dead moles around the garden since the flood. I can only assume that they suck at swimming.

The new run in for Katys hogs is finished. She had them weighed in Saturday. They came in at the low end of the allowable weights so management of their gain will be a one way street. I don’t feel she will be in any jeopardy of not meeting or exceeding final weight limits. I think she is in a good position to do well in the rate of gain.

By the way she named her pair Hershey and Paint.

I plan on getting started with the high tunnel this week. It is pretty sloppy around here so leveling the area my not make this a doable project now. I can frame up the garage door panels and build trusses but I’m not in the mood to shovel mud.

I did fail to mention that the last two weekends we made lye soap with our friends Willie and Rob. I hadn’t made lye soap before so it was pretty cool to participate in the project. It seems like a great excuse to spend the day with our good friends and eat crappy hot dogs, hot dill pickles and smores. Now that is a menu you won’t find at some fine eatery! Between the two sessions we divided our makings with us ending up with enough soap for the rest of the year.

I’ll eventually post some photos again. I haven’t had any of my film developed in a while. One of these days I’ll bite the bullet and get a digital camera.



  1. Ed Abbey said,

    April 9, 2008 at 6:29 AM

    I’ve seen lots of dead moles after huge rains too so I second your opinion on their swimming ability.

  2. Nita said,

    April 9, 2008 at 7:24 AM

    I’m glad your rain is at least slowing down and allowing for some spring time progress.Some of the best times we’ve had with friends, have been when we are making soap or butchering. The best thing about the homemade soap is that each bar lasts 10 times longer than anything you can purchase.

  3. Woody said,

    April 9, 2008 at 2:10 PM

    nita…then we have a three year supply…lol

  4. hillbilly2be said,

    April 16, 2008 at 7:58 AM

    This comment has been removed by the author.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: